Monday, June 18, 2012

MEET & GREET MONDAY

Ahh... summer is ALMOST here and what better way to kick it off then with a new weekly blog feature! We are very excited to be starting up Meet & Greet Monday's. Every Monday we will take time to introduce the Casbah team, community and customers, and even show off a bit of our beautiful city. So stay tuned, lots of fun is coming your way!

Now if we could only kick start that sun...
Who?
Nicole King, our very own founder and owner of Casbah Day Spa and Casbah Evolution.

What inspired you to open up Casbah?
I was brought up with my Mother being an entrepreneur in a small community. I saw the trials and tribulations that she went through but also the many rewards it had to offer.

Where did the name come from?
The name Casbah means a palace outside a large city, a gathering place.

Did you find it hard to get started?
I found it extremely hard to get started. I approached every bank, lender and association possible, all of them didn't know what a spa was and didn't believe there was even a market. In the end, it came down to family and an extremely tight budget.

What is the one piece of advice you would give to those looking to start their own business?
One piece of advice; you need to love what you do, owning your own business is 24/7 and there is no immediate gratification and no pats on the back. You need to be focused, positive and always thinking what's next!

When and why did you branch out to start up Casbah Evolution?
I opened Casbah Evolution in 2008 to expand into a new demographic, location and age market.

How do you find time to manage both work and family?
After financing and signing my first lease, I found out I was pregnant, so finding balance came early; however it made it extremely difficult.  I opened Casbah's doors May 2002 and had my first child 3 months prior. I signed my second lease to move from 1500 to triple our size in 2007 with 2 young boys at home. Again a busy time in my life but made it work with a great management team and my first blackberry lol.  When I signed the lease for Casbah Evolution in 2007, I found out we were expecting the unexpected, a beautiful baby girl, but again a busy time in my life with great staff!  Finding time for family is always a challenge; but because the spa industry is all about balance it keeps me balanced with family and business and thank goodness for that.

What is your favorite service at the spa?
My favorite service is a Casbah facial because it offers a little bit of everything which is exactly how I planned it; lots of massage for stress release, anti aging products and technology to help us take off the years we added on with our busy lives.

What's your favorite thing to do on a Sunday afternoon?
My favorite thing to do on a Sunday afternoon, weather permitting, is to pack up the family and either head to white rock or crescent beach! I love my community and all that it has to offer. 2 scoops please!

No comments:

Post a Comment